The Butcher Emmerson Mnangagwa has conferred the National and Provincial statuses to five war veterans who died recently. In a statement, seen by Pindula News, Dr Misheck Sibanda, the Chief Secretary in the Office of the President and Cabinet said the five are Major Retired Godfrey Chanakira, Francis Komboni Gondo, Charles Savanhu, Christopher Kuruneri and Chief Denis Ndlovu Nhlamba. Reads the statement:
Announcement by the Chief Secretary to the President and Cabinet, M.J.M. Sibanda, on fallen Heroes, Harare, 30th May, 2022
His Excellency the President, Dr E.D. Mnangagwa, has conferred National Hero and Provincial Hero status to the following deceased:
1. The late Major General (Retd) Godfrey Chanakira whose Chimurenga name was Cde Garikai Musavengana who had been granted a State-assisted funeral, has now been declared National Hero after further consultations. Burial arrangements will be announced in due course.
2. Francis Komboni Gondo, whose Chimurenga name was Cde Elias Hondo, has been declared a Provincial Hero.
3. Charles Savanhu whose Chimurenga name was Advance Chimurenga has been declared a Provincial Hero.
4. Former Finance Minister and Zanu PF Member of Parliament for Mount Darwin East, Christopher Kuruneri, who died at the weekend in South Africa, has been declared a Provincial Hero.
5. Chief Denis Ndlovu Nhlamba of Garanyemba area in Gwanda who passed on at the United Bulawayo Hospitals (UBH) on Saturday has been granted a State-Assisted funeral. Vice President Dr CGDN Chiwenga will represent the President at the funeral of the late Chief.
(M. J. M.) Sibanda
Chief Secretary to the President and Cabinet
Source – Captured State Media